About Veritas University, FCT
Veritas University is a Catholic university founded in May 2007. The resolution to establish the school was reached following the Catholics Bishops Conference in March 2002.
In May 2007, the administrative team of the university obtained an operating license from the Federal Government through the National Universities Commission (NUC). The school began full operation and academic activities in October 2008 at its take-off campus in Obehie Town, Abia State.
Veritas University was founded by top Catholic Bishops who had a desire to have a fully-owned catholic tertiary institution. The mission of the university is to provide quality education and produce competent graduates who are sound academically and spiritually.
Veritas University is a research-oriented university, and this is evident in the quality of teaching. Professor Micheal Kwanashie, a professor of Economics, is the Vice Chancellor of the institution. Most Rev. Dr. Anthony J.V. Obinna is the Pro-Chancellor of the university while Rev. Sr. Grace Akpan is the university bursar.
Regarding structure and infrastructure, Veritas University is top quality. The university library is furnished with modern educative and informative books, and it is also an e-library. The school management has spent a huge fortune on providing quality sporting and recreational facilities for students to keep fit and have a balanced life. There are currently six (6) colleges in this school namely:
- College of Post-Graduate studies
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences – Biological Sciences, Pure and Applied Chemistry, Pure and Applied Physics
- College of Humanities – English and Literary Studies, History and International Relations, Philosophy
- College of Social Sciences – Departments include Political science and diplomacy, Economics
- College of Education
- College of Management Sciences – Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Business Administration, Entrepreneurial Studies