Bukar Abba Ibrahim University is another name for the Yobe State University. As the name implies, it is a school owned by the Yobe State government in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria.
Yobe State University offers academic and administrative services. The school was established in 2006 after obtaining necessary approval and license from the National Universities Commission (NUC) which makes it duly recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as an academic and educational institution. The school has a vision of providing quality educational services that will lead to the production of quality graduates.
Typically, people from Yobe state and its environs are usually not the most educated. In fact, this region is one of the worst-hit parts of the country following the terrorism and insurgency that has set the country back in recent times.
This is why the school was founded to increase the hunger and passion for education in the state on the one hand and to also meet the educational and academic needs of the country on the other hand. The school currently offers degree certification at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. There are four (4) faculties in Yobe state university, namely:
- Faculty of Art – Departments include Islamic studies, History, Hausa, English, Arabic, and Education
- Faculty of Social and Management Sciences – Departments include Accounting, Geography, Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Public Administration, Business Administration
- Faculty of Science – Departments include Physics, Mathematics, and statistics, Chemistry, Computer science, Biological science
- Faculty of Law – Departments include Sharia law and Civil law
- To gain admission into any of the departments as mentioned above in Yobe State University, prospective students must pass JAMB and an entrance exam organized by the school.