Public universities in Nigeria will resume soon after months of strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The federal government gave the assurance on Wednesday.
Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, spoke at the inauguration of the reconstituted government team on renegotiation of the 2009 agreement with ASUU.
Adamu noted that progress had been made in talks geared towards ensuring an end to recurring issues.
He decried the industrial actions, which have affected the university circle over the years.
“The federal government and relevant stakeholders, in the past months, have been neck-deep in several meetings with the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and others, to resolve the outstanding issues that led to the current industrial action in public universities.
“Although most of residual issues were part of the comprehensive agreement reached with the previous administration, I can report that significant progress has, so far, been recorded and there is an opportunity that our public universities, like their private counterparts, will soon reopen for academic activities”, he hinted.
The minister urged everyone to play their part in efforts to restore confidence in university education.
The team, categorized into substantive members, advisers and observers, is led by Professor Emeritus Munzali Jibril.
The body will propose and prescribe short, medium and long-term measures for the sustainable funding and management of federal universities.
It will take another look at the 2009 agreement and work with each union towards a workable and implementable agreement between both parties.
The team will make any other recommendations to ensure the realistic implementation of future agreements, by all stakeholders.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
Recent Forum Topics
- Lowest Price Hydrea in UK/GB | c.o.d. no script | saturday delivery
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman