President Muhammadu Buhari has stated that the Federal Government alone can’t finance universities in Nigeria.
Buhari said the private sector must be involved in financing universities in the country because the burden is too much for the government alone.
Speaking at the 2020 convocation and 72nd foundation day celebration of the University of Ibadan on Tuesday, the President said universities should make themselves attractive to the private sector.
The President was represented at the occasion by the Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission, NUC, Prof Abubakar Rasheed.
He charged universities to come up with programmes that would help his government in reducing poverty and improving the health sector.
He said: “It must be noted that the government alone cannot carry the enormous burden of financing education. The private sector must be actively involved in the task of providing quality education for Nigerians.
“It is my expectation that universities will make themselves attractive to the private sector, define their roles and carve out a niche by designing programmes that will progressively assist the Government in addressing poverty reduction, improving the health sector.”
Buhari also warned heads of governing councils of Nigerian universities against mismanaging the process of appointing vice-chancellors.
He noted that the governing councils would be held responsible for the outcome of the process.
“Pro-Chancellors, in their dual role as chairpersons of governing councils and chairpersons of the five-person selection committee for the appointment of Vice-Chancellors, must be prepared to bear full responsibility for the management or mismanagement of the process.”
Meanwhile, Buhari had promised to meet all the demands of unions in the educational sector in Nigeria.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
Recent Forum Topics
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
- AAUA DEPARTMENTAL CUT-OFF MARKS FOR 2020/2021
Latest School News
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman
- Federal Government alone can’t finance universities in Nigeria – President Buhari
- Suspend your nationwide protest – University alumni urges NANS over ASUU strike
- NECO releases results of common entrance examination
- WAEC updates candidates on amendment of date of birth