The University of Lagos (UNILAG) Senate and four unions are against the removal of Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe as Vice Chancellor.
They labeled the sack and the appointment of Prof. Theophilus Soyombo as Acting VC, illegal.
Ogundipe and Prof. Folashade Ogunsola, Deputy VC (Development Services) on Thursday met the joint congress of the staff unions amid cheers.
The Senate and unions marched in protest round UNILAG premises.
The unions and their leaders signed a resolution against Ogundipe’s removal.
They are Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) – Dele Ashiru; Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU) – Olusola Sowunmi; Non Academic Staff Union (NASU) – Ajibade Kehinde; and National Association Academics of Technologies (NAAT).
Former Dean, Faculty of Law, Prof. Chioma Agomo, announced that the Senate had passed vote of confidence on Ogundipe.
She stressed that the Senate “does not recognise anybody as acting VC”, and has lost confidence in the governing council.
“We call on President Muhammadu Buhari to dissolve the (Wale) Babalakin-led governing council. The Senate will not accept any surrogate acting VC. The governing council sidelined the Senate,” she said.
Also Read : UNILAG announces acting Vice Chancellor
She explained that according to the law, a joint Council and Senate committee should have been constituted to investigate the allegations against Ogundipe.
The Babalakin-led council had convened an emergency council where it removed Ogundipe, based on the Saminu Dagari report.
But Agomo said it was sad that “after working here (UNILAG) for 30 years, council will take a decision without Senate’s inputs. His removal did not follow due process.”
Ogundipe, in his remarks, expressed excitement at the open solidarity.
He vowed to forever remain a loyal union member.
“I am okay and sound. We should be joyful no matter what has happened”, Ogundipe added.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
Recent Forum Topics
- INSIDE LIFE: Diary Of A Student pt 1.
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman