The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has criticized the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Governing Council Chairman, Wale Babalakin.
ASUU told him that the hire and fire of a Vice-Chancellor was not his sole right.
The council had sacked UNILAG VC, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe and named Prof. Theophilus Omololu Soyombo (Faculty of Social Sciences) as replacement.
Reacting, the Committee of VC condemned the removal, calling it a “hatchet job”.
ASUU President, Biodun Ogunyemi, at a news conference in Abuja on Tuesday insisted that due process was not followed.
“We are shocked not because we regard Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe as a saint but for the fact that all available evidence indicates that he was not taken through the due process.
“For the avoidance of doubt, Babalakin should be reminded that the knowledge of procedures and process for appointment and removal of Vice-Chancellors is not the exclusive preserve of legal luminaries,” NAN quoted him as saying.
The “legal luminaries” was a veiled description of Babalakin, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN).
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- Uproar in Unilag over the removal of Ogundipe and…
- UNILAG announces acting Vice Chancellor
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman