The University of Ibadan (UI) has debunked a claim made by the All Progressives Congress (APC) that the institution awarded two certificates with different dates to Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki.
The APC had stated dissimilarities in the dates on Obaseki’s UI certificate as one of the reasons for his disqualification from the June 22 governorship primary in Edo State.
Presenting its report to the National Working Committee headed by National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, on Saturday, the APC Screening Appeal Committee led by Abubakar Fari, said, “It is inconceivable that the same University will award two certificates with separate dates for the same graduates
“We also find it difficult to vouch for the authenticity of his National Youth Service Corps certificate, there is no indication as to where he served. We find that he should be disqualified.”
Oshiomhole appraised the chairman and members of the appeal committee for doing a “meticulous” job.
“It appears you were extremely meticulous to details and you justified ours – not in terms of your findings but in terms of what you were able to amplify. That you have an eye for very important details.
“We are happy you were able to finish this work timeously. This is the final appeal level, what is left now is the NWC will meet and take a decision one way or the other,” he said.
However, when contacted on Sunday, UI Registrar, Olubunmi Faluyi, restated that Obaseki remains an alumnus of the university.
Faluyi said the institution’s stand remained as contained in an earlier statement that “Obaseki gained admission to the University in 1976 and graduated in 1979 with a Second Class Honours, Lower Division. Records of his Admission and Graduation are intact in the archives of the University.”
Also, the varsity’s Director of Public Communications, Olatunji Oladejo, in a telephone interview on Sunday stated that the claim by the APC were false.
“We stand by our statement on Obaseki. How can you issue two certificates to a candidate? That is not true. It is not possible. He graduated in 1979 from the university. We issued only one certificate to him, not two,” Oladejo said.
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman