The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has reacted to news that the Senior School Certificate Examination for 2020 has been canceled
News has broken out over the weekend that the exam had been forfeited due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Mr Areghan, the Head Of Waec, Nigeria, speaking in a statement urged Nigerians to disregard publications on cancellation of the exam.
Areghan also debunked reports that it was set to refund N22,500 to candidates who had enrolled for the examination as fake, false, and deceitful.
“The publication is patently false and deceitful. It is nothing but the handiwork of mischief-makers, who are out to defraud innocent and unsuspecting candidates and their parents/guardians.
“This piece of news is certainly not from the West African Examinations Council, WAEC. The examination was supposed to start in Nigeria on April 6, 2020 and not April 15, 2020, as stated by the authors.
“The examination fee is N13,950 only, not N22,500. It is, therefore, not reasonable to refund candidates an amount higher than what they had paid to register for the examination.
“WAEC, as an examining body in the sub-region, has not announced the cancellation of the 2020 WASSCE; it only announced a postponement until normalcy is restored.
“We wish to use this opportunity to reassure all registered candidates, schools and other stakeholders that once the situation returns to normal, the Council will come up with a new international timetable for the conduct of2020 WASSCE in the West African sub-region, after due consultations with relevant stakeholders.
“Candidates are, therefore, advised to disregard the publication and concentrate on studying hard for the examination.”
Recall that the Nigerian government had last week postponed the Senior School Certificate Examination organised by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and the National Examination Waec Postpones Examinations Indefinitely
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- WAEC Releases 2019 May/June Senior School…
- WAEC clears the air about fire outbreak rumor
- Fed Poly Ilaro Announces Admission Details For…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- WAEC regulates exam towns for WASSCE second series
Recent Forum Topics
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman