Prof. Olanrewaju Fagbohun, the Vice-Chancellor of the Lagos State University (LASU), has told students of the institution not to let data cost prevent them from partaking in the distance learning programme of the institution.
A month ago the Federal Government directed all schools to close as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This was followed by a directive from the Education Minister, Mallam Adamu Adamu, last week that tertiary institutions should reopen classes online.
To this end, the LASU Management directed students of the institution to register on its website to access.
However, students had conveyed concerns about challenges participating in e-learning as a result of data cost they would incur to learn online
Nevertheless, the VC said the cost should not hinder them from participating in what is considered best practice worldwide. He added that the platform had been designed to require minimal data cost to access.
In a message to the students, Fagbohun said: “I have been inundated with calls, comments by some of our students that they will find it difficult to be a part of the online lectures because ‘things are tough’. I believe some clarification is necessary.
“The goal of our Visitor, Mr Governor, and that of our Institution is to ensure that our students graduate without undue extension of their academic session. We also desire a situation where in the competition of life, our students are able to show anywhere in the world that during the global crisis, their academic activities continued. That is what is happening globally. Suggestions have been made for us to seek out philanthropists who will support the project so that it will be affordable. I wish to assure that the Lagos State Government is already doing that.
“For the online classes, the Envivo platform has been configured in such a way that our students can always go there at their convenience to get the prior- recorded uploaded lectures. This will allow for minimal use of data.
“What we are seeking to do is to offer our students same opportunity as are available to students of Ivy League and other expensive Institutions. Let us therefore refrain from giving excuses. It is all about your future. God be with you all.”
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- How To Apply For UNILORIN 2019 Sandwich &…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- How Technology Can Help Students Concentrate Better…
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
Recent Forum Topics
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
- AAUA DEPARTMENTAL CUT-OFF MARKS FOR 2020/2021
Latest School News
- Ekiti State SUBEB Chairman threatens under performing contractors on UBEC projects
- Too many unions killing Nigerian varsities – VC, Federal University, Oye
- Environment still unsafe to reopen schools – Imo State government
- Kogi government announces changes of schools’ examination dates
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021 Admissions