President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Professor Biodun Ogunyemi on Monday expressed his dissatisfaction with the poor treatment of university retirees.
Ogunyemi condemned the government for the delay in payment of retirement benefits for the members of ASUU.
He disclosed this while speaking at Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State during ASUU Sensitization Workshop on Implications of Contributory Pension Scheme on Monday.
Professor Ogunyemi, who was actively represented by the Zonal Coordinator, Abuja branch, Theophilus Lagi, said it was disappointing and discomforting that workers who had diligently served Nigeria were being maltreated and denied their retirement benefits rather than being appreciated and getting paid on time.
He explained that retired University lecturers have been subjected to various inhuman treatment – ranging from monthly shuttles between their locations to State or Federal headquarters to “trace” documents; endless queues at verification centres, sometimes resulting in death casualties.
The ASUU president further revealed that to properly tackle the challenges, the establishment of Nigerian University Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO) had become imperative.
“Eminent scholars and senior colleagues who retired from the Nigerian University System (NUS) in the last two decades or so have not been spared of these and other forms of undignified treatment.
“NUPEMCO is an expression of the basic commitment of our Union to the protection of the life and the future of members of the university community. For this reason, it is our duty to nurture it to become the best in the industry.”
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- How To Pay OOU 2019/2020 Acceptance Fee
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman