In a rather shocking twist, President of The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Wednesday declared that the Union was yet to reach an agreement with the Federal Government over the ongoing nationwide strike.
The president of ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi disclosed that the negotiation between the Union and the Federal Government is still inconclusive.
According to Professor Ogunyemi, the team that represented the Union at the meeting did not sign any agreement based on the newest proposal by the Federal Government. He explained that the representatives of ASUU at the meeting disclosed at the meeting that the Union would have to deliberate on the new proposal and make a decision before the strike can be called off.
Below is an extract of Professor Ogunyemi’s statement;
“It was just yesterday (Tuesday) that government sent the proposal to us without waiting for feedback before going to the public that we have reached an agreement. ASUU does not operate in that manner.
“The ASUU team that met the Federal Government would have to consult our principal over the proposal which we are already doing.
“So, ASUU cannot make a pronouncement on a mere proposal. Until our principal agrees, there is no agreement. And that is what we have always emphasised to the government that we are going to consult our members and if after consultation, our members think the proposal is good enough, we will get back to government and tell them that now, we have taken a decision which becomes an agreement.
“But so far on government proposal, we have not taken a decision. And our strike is still ongoing.
“If you say you are going to set up a committee and you have set up that committee, that one is clear. And if you say you are going to pay certain money for certain purpose and you have paid, that will not also cause further argument. But where we said you should release a certain amount of money in five tranches within a certain period of time, and you are saying well, you have paid N20 billion, or you have paid N2 billion or N15. 4 billion, it means you haven’t started.
“So, that is the level we are now. And we don’t have a final say on any proposal that is controversial. But for areas that are not controversial as I had mentioned, we will only need to confirm payment. If paid, fine. It then means that one is settled and we now move to another one that is yet to be settled. And the one that is not settled we will need to take feedback to our members and that is the position we are at the moment.”
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Fed Poly Ilaro Announces Admission Details For…
Recent Forum Topics
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
- AAUA DEPARTMENTAL CUT-OFF MARKS FOR 2020/2021