The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has provided an update on the ongoing nationwide strike as the Federal Government, yesterday, met one of its major demands.
This is as the union has received the certificate of operation for Nigerian University Pension Management Company, NUPEMCO, from the National Pension Commission.
The refusal of the regulatory agency to approve the teachers’ union’s pension commission for operation has been one of the major issues in the dispute between ASUU and the Federal Government.
However, the National Pension Council, the regulatory agency for the country’s pension companies, granted the union the certificate of operation on Monday.
Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, in a short message sent across to members of the union, yesterday, said ASUU received the certificate at about 11:20 a.m.
The message reads, “Dear Comrade, We collected the final letter of approval of NUPEMCO operational license at about 11.20a.m in PENCOM office. Profound appreciation goes to all who prepared the ground and made this possible.
“While congratulating all our members for this landmark achievement of the union, we also thank them for their patience. The struggle continues! Biodun Ogunyemi.”
Prof. Ogunyemi earlier told the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, that the leadership was still consulting with its members over offers made by the federal government.
He said the government made some offers in the course of meetings with ASUU, which are still being deliberated on.
“We are still consulting with our chapters across the country. There are promises that the government made and we are trying to consult with the various university chapters on the options before the union.
“By the time we are fully aware of what is left of our demands from what the government is offering, then we will know what steps to take, even as negotiations with the government continues.
“For instance, we are in touch with about 20 universities that are affected, to be sure of the level of implementation.
“By the time we finish our assessment, we will now send our response back to the government, concerning the level of implementation.
“And depending on the outcome of our further engagements with government, we will now get back to our members,” he said.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
- Varsities Shut Down As Unions Abandons Duties
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman