The All Progressive Congress (APC) and its formal national chairman, Chief Bisi Akande has been attacked by the Academic Staff Union of Universities.
ASUU described Akande as the grandfather of a poorly administrated government.
This was in response to an attack made early on by Akande when he accused the striking lecturers of producing vagabonds and unemployable youth.
ASUU wondered how a supposed leader of Akande’s status could render a statement with warped logic.
Akande condemned the strike embarked upon by ASUU during the commissioning of a one storey classroom donated to Abolarin college in Oke Ila Orangun.
Akande was quoted to have said the union was tarnishing the education system with requests that were not genuine.
ASUU chairman, University of Ibadan, Dr Deji Omole, in a reaction in a statement on Sunday said Akande’s recent outburst against the ongoing patriotic struggle by ASUU to save public university education in Nigeria clearly exposed that he is just an elder only by age but not a statesman.
“The same Bisi Akande who himself was a teacher during the free education programme of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo laid off hundreds of teachers and left Osun state education in ruins now claims to value quality graduates while shying away from adequate investment in education.
“It is on record that during Akande’s time as governor all the higher institutions in Osun State were closed down due to the anti-masses policy of his administration on education.
“It is even self-indicting for the leader of a ruling party who is destroying public education with chronic underfunding of the existing institution but busy itself to mushrooming of new universities without any funding plan to still be talking in public. The budget for education in the current year was wickedly cut down to seven per cent to demonstrate their hatred for publicly funded education,” Omole said.
He said the union was not the government that promised Nigerian youths gainful employment as the ruling party did and so “could not be blamed for the failure of the clueless government to establish industries.”
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Kogi State Polytechnic 2018/2019 HND & Pre-ND…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman