The World Bank is set to grant three government technical colleges in Ekiti State $3 million as an intervention under the Bank’s Innovation and Development Effectiveness for Acquisition of Skills(IDEAS) programme.
This was brought to light during a meeting between World Bank Team with Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital on Wednesday.
According to the Bank’s Senior Education Specialist Dr Tunde Adekola, the IDEAS programme would be centralized on technical and vocational education skills and would be private sector-driven.
Adekola, who stated that the programme targets skills acquisition for youth employability and empowerment, added that IDEAS would provide proper training and certification for middle-level manpower that would see Technical Colleges return to their original purpose of the establishment.
Adekola added that the World Bank was happy the five-year programme aligns with the knowledge-based economy being pushed by the Fayemi-led administration.
Fayemi expressed optimism the programme will address the deterioration of craftsmanship; stressing that government must make technical and vocational education a desire.
Fayemi faulted the belief in some quarters that technical education is meant for drop-outs, said there was a need for “psychological reorientation” so that “people would know that not going to the university does not mean you are a failure”.
The governor, who restated his readiness to improve youth empowerment in the state, said his administration would provide necessary support for the immediate take-off of the IDEAS programme in the three benefiting technical colleges in the State.
IDEAS is the World Bank’s SEPIP successor programme. SEPIP was started in Ekiti State in November 2013 under Governor Fayemi and the programme had seen to the establishment of various education-related projects including the ongoing rehabilitation of the Government Technical College, Ado Ekiti.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- How To Apply For Bowen University 2018/2019…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
Recent Forum Topics
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
- AAUA DEPARTMENTAL CUT-OFF MARKS FOR 2020/2021