The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), University of Nigeria Nsukka chapter, Thursday, vowed that its members would not be part of the 2018 convocation ceremonies of the University.
According to ASUU, the decision is in line with the ongoing nationwide strike of the Union.
Dr Ifeanyichukwu Abada, the chairperson of ASUU-UNN, who discussed with journalists after a congress to update members on the strike said the union agreed to write Prof Benjamin Ozumba the Vice Chancellor of UNN to suspend the 2018 convocation billed to start on Monday, November 26 and end on December 2.
“One of the resolutions reached in this Congress is that the VC should suspend arrangements for the 48th convocation of the university till the ongoing ASUU nationwide strike is suspended.
“But if he refuses and decides to go ahead with the convocation ceremony, the academic staff of UNN will boycott all activities lined up for it.
“I wonder what the convocation ceremony will look like in the absence of lecturers, head of departments, directors and dean of faculties who are lined with the responsibility of presenting graduating students to the university during convocation,” he said.
The UNN-ASUU chairperson said serious sanction would be placed on any academic staff that would sabotage the union by actively participating in the ceremony if the university decided to go ahead with it.
“ASUU executives in Nsukka zone who attended this congress are in support that the convocation should be cancelled since the ongoing ASUU nationwide strike, which is total and comprehensive.
“Serious punishment will be bestowed on any academic staff who participates in that convocation if UNN decides to go ahead with it.
“If some universities in the country can suspend their convocations because of the ongoing ASUU nationwide strike, I see no reason why UNN will not do same,” he stated.
Abada said the Congress was happy with compliance of members in UNN on the ongoing nationwide strike and urged members to keep it up.
“The Congress is happy that the strike in UNN has been total and comprehensive.
“It’s this total compliance that has paralysed academic activities both in UNN and the University of Nigeria Enugu Campus (UNEC).
“The strike will continue until the Federal government meets demands of the union,” he said.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- See 2018 NABTEB May/June Exam Timetable and…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- UNN Joins Ongoing ASUU Strike
- ASUU condems University of Ibadan VC over plans to…
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
Recent Forum Topics
- INSIDE LIFE: Diary Of A Student pt 1.
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman