Sci Val is a system that allows users to visualize and benchmark institutional research performance, identify and develop collaborative partnerships, and analyze research trends.
As at today, the three Universities leading Nigeria’s total institutional research output(Elsevier) are the University Of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University and Covenant University.
Sci Val 2017 report shows that the University of Ibadan is leading in Nigeria with 900 scholar output from 114 departments in the University.
Obafemi Awolowo University however according to Sci Val 2017 report, the university is trailing in an ‘uncomfortable’ lead with 550 research publications developed from about 88 departments in the University.
Covenant University which is the only private institution in the top 10 according to the Sci Val 2017 report is third on the list with 500 research publications coming from 32 departments in the University.
Comparing the publications of these 3 Nigerian Universities to that of other similarly sized Universities around the world, Harvard University which of similar size as UI and OAU has 15,000 research publications in any given year. The University of Capetown which is also similar in size to UI and OAU also has 3,000 research publications.
While Caltech which is a small-sized university in the US has published 3,000 research publications. This comparison shows that though Nigerian Universities are doing well, they still have a long way to go regarding coming up with new research and publications.
Nigerian Universities, both private and the government universities need to improve the quantity and quality of research to advance on world university rankings.
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman