Public Universities all over Nigeria has been approved by president Muhammadu Buhari to get N20 billion in respect to the demands of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU. This was disclosed by the new Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed on Monday while she was speaking with newsmen.
It will be recalled that the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, published a memo some few weeks ago informing the general public of their plight as the government is yet to meet their demands after their official agreement.
The spokesperson for ASUU warned in the memo that ASUU is prepared to go on a warning strike to make the general public aware of their plight after which the union is prepared to go on an indefinite strike if the government fails to consider their demands and honour their previous agreement.
The news of the 20 billion Naira funds which has been approved by President Buhari and will be disbursed accordingly among the public universities seems to be the reply of the federal government to the looming strike.
The Minister of Finance also explained that the funds will be released through the normal channels and that the purpose of the funds is to revitalize public universities all over Nigeria.
Below is an extract of her statement to newsmen.
“The N20 billion for the universities would be released immediately in line with the established criteria used by the National Universities Commission.
“The federal government would monitor the progress of the implementation of the universities’ revitalization with a view to resolving emerging issues and keeping its promises to relevant stakeholders.”
While ASUU is yet to comment on the new development, the next question is will these funds be enough to make a serious impact in all the public Universities all over Nigeria? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section.
Related School Updates:
- ASUU Demands Brand New Renegotiation Of Agreements With FG
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Breaking News! ASUU Rejects FG’s 20 billion Naira…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- Varsities Shut Down As Unions Abandons Duties
- ASUU Insists FG Must Show Evidence Of Commitment…
- Federal Government Has Reached An Agreement With…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman