The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calabar, Prof Zana Akpagu has ordered the immediate and indefinite suspension of Dr Mensah for allegedly selling certificates. It was discovered that Dr Mensah, a lecturer in the university has been forging fake certificates and selling them to students willing to pay.
The management of the University of Calabar identified Dr Eyo Mensah who is a lecturer at the Department of linguistics for certificate forgery and promptly took steps to investigate the situation. Though it is unclear how long Dr Mensah has been selling forged University certificate to people, it was gathered that the university management found evidence that he has truly been selling the certificates as accused.
In a letter titled ‘Indefinite suspension from the services of the University of Calabar’, which was signed by the Registrar of the University, Mr Moses Abang, Dr Mensah was placed on an indefinite suspension by the Vice Chancellor of the University of Calabar.
The letter also stated that the accused lecturer, Dr Mensah will appear for trial before the court of law which means if the accused lecturer is found guilty by the court, it might result in a more severe punishment compared to the suspension handed to him by the University management.
The details of the letter read in part: “I regret to inform you that the Vice Chancellor in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by the laws of the University has directed your immediate and indefinite suspension from the services of the University of Calabar.”
“The directive is based on a careful consideration of recent development in a case of certificate forgery implicating you and for which reason the university has been requested to release you for trial in the court of law.
“The case under reference is suit No. HC/MSC.67/2018 before the High Court of Cross River State of Nigeria in Calabar Judicial division and presided over by Hon. Justice Emelia Ibok,”
The letter also stated that Dr Mensah is to hand over all the properties belonging to the University in his custody to the Head of his department. As at the time of writing this report, is still uncertain if the lecturer has any accomplice in this department or other departments in the University.
It will be recalled that Dr Mensah was recently taken before the High Court of Cross River State by the State’s Department of Public Prosecution (DPP) as a result of a petition by the immediate past Vice Chancellor of Unical, Prof. James Epoke bordering on certificate racketeering (forging and selling certificates to students), though Dr Mensah was not prosecuted over the petition, it is highly unlikely that he will escape prosecution over this fresh allegation.
Related School Updates:
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- How To Apply For UNICAL 2019/2020 Postgraduate…
- Afe Babalola University Releases 2018/2019…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman