Students of the University of Ibadan have embarked on a protest against a 114 percent increment in accommodation fee and According to the university official website, the hostel fee has been increased from N14,000 to N30,000. The medical students are however expected to pay N40, 000 accommodation fee for 2017/2018 session.
The students locked the halls’ gates to express their displeasure over what they consider as “inhumane development” from the management.
A medical student of the university who spoke in a telephone interview explained further.
“All medical students are presently protesting against this hike. The ABH gate is presently under lock. The university increased the fee without any improvement in the state of things.”
Another student who spoke under the condition of anonymity to avoid victimisation told our correspondent that “nothing has been done for students to see as the reason for the increment. We live in a nation where academics is now strictly for the rich. I doubt if this university is still a federal university.”
A male student who identified himself as Segun told newsmen that the proscription of the students union is part of their predicament.
“If the union has not been proscribed, we may have those who will challenge the authority. This is unpleasant and a slap on Nigerian education sector. I applied to study in a federal government university not private owned school because I know that my parents are not financially buoyant.”
However, the vice-chancellor of the university, Prof. Idowu Olayinka, last Saturday gave a statement on his Facebook page justifying the increment,
”A slight adjustment is necessary to meet the running of the hostels. Federal Government, many years back, had stopped providing funds for running the halls. As a result, the university spends about N100 million over what is collected as accommodation fee for running the halls. The university is no longer in a position to continue to provide this subsidy,” he said.
Related School Updates:
- See University Of Port-Harcourt 2018 Postgraduate…
- See UNN 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- AAU 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Application Details
- Just in, UI evicts Medical Students from School Hostel
- Apply for Southwestern University, Nigeria 2020/2021…
- Benue State University Shut Down By Students Over…
- See UNIUYO 2018/2019 Postgraduate Admission Details
- Ondo State University OF Science & Technology…
Recent Forum Topics
- SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN CONNECTION SERVICES (08107906879)
- 7 Jobs for Graduates with a Linguistics Degree
- Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Estate Management in Nigeria.
- UNIJOS Cut-Off Mark 2020: University of Jos (UNIJOS) Cut-off mark for 2020/2021
- DELSU Cut off Mark and Departmental Cut off Point for 2020/2021 session.
Latest School News
- ASUU: Universities will soon reopen
- ASUU Strike may be suspended as govt presents new proposal to lecturers
- UNILAG postpones 2020/2021 Post-UTME examination indefinitely
- University of Lagos, Abuja and 10 others selected as TETFund’s Centers of Excellence, receive N1b grants
- How universities can reopen within one week – ASUU Chairman